Friday, October 21, 2011

Running, or trying to

I ran my first race on September 21, 2011. It was the 3.5miles JPMorgan Chase Corporate Challenge in San Francisco. We started at 7pm from the AT&T park around this huge lot behind the new UCSF building. I always wanted to run around SF like the many others I see when I drive by, especially when the roads are blocked off all to myself. But boy was I embarrassed. Not only was I out of breath, I was the most physically out of shape person in all the participants from my firm. You can never tell of course; people thought I was joking when I was preparing for the race that I just ran a 20 minute mile last night. I would probably be faster if I walked. Then again I tend to walk slow, more of a strolling pace than a brisk walk required by cardio workouts. God I hate to sweat. There was a moment though, when I sprint through the finish lines hearing all the people I don't know cheering for me. Don't get me wrong, I still think it's cheesy as hell there are people saying "good job!" to a not-overweight 27 year old that just finished huffing and puffing a 58 minute 3.5 miles walk sprinkled with light jog, it did feel pretty good.

A number of reason could have caused my "I'm-an-angry-fat-lady-on-the-inside" problem such as excessive work hours, increased stress, lack of excersize, eating lots of snacks, was a smoker for approxmiately 6 years, etc.  While the weight gain is an issue worthy of another posting in itself, the overall decrease in my "healthy-feeling," i.e. strength and energy level, or worst of all, body shape, is enough cause for any non-doctor's concern. That's right, you don't have to be a doctor to tell that I'm snowballing towards my sad ugly death that is, hopefully, at least 50 years away.

With that said and my clothes all feeling too tight, I have a goals in mind.

GOAL: Start Running (and blogging about it)

I avoided running for years because I always had pain in my knee caused by a horrible cross country coach when I was in 6th grade. This is until my husband the Chiropractor/PT told me to strengthen my leg muscle all together. I followed instructions and started working out non-running style. Work got in the way and I got lazy so that all stopped until the JPMorgan run. With that pathetic experience explained above, I am now going to start the Couch-to-5K plan. Very sad I didn't hear about this before the JPMorgan run but never too late. Hopefully next year I can run the whole 3.5miles at JPMorgan.

Another reason is also reading the entire October 2011 issue of Shape on the plane to Asia and seeing Olivia Munn on there. What the heck, that could of been me. There is also another cool 5 week to 5K plan on pg 159 which have more cross training plans than the couch-to-5K. At this point, any motivation helps so I will use them both as a guide and find my own 5 week to 5K plan.

Another thing I want to committ to start is running trails. There are so many of them in the SF Bay Area, I never realized I was missing out for the past 8 years until it hit me recently (must be the hormones talking) when my avid runner coworker showed me a picture from her run at Outer Richmond's Lands End Trail (or Yelp here) where you are high up with a great view of the SF Bay. So here I am, trail maps in hand. Hopefully my next blog will be about my run at Cave Rock Loop - an unexciting run in the Milpitas/Sunol area that I will start my trail running life with because of its proximity to my house and the short distance. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment